I love trying different foods. My Mom always said just try it and if you don't like it you never have to eat it again. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. Unfortunately it's bad for me because I like all kinds of food as is evident by my ever increasing bum.
Anyway, I had my first memorable experience with Korean food the other day. I say memorable because when I was little we lived in South Korea for about a year or so. So obviously I’ve eaten Korean food before, I just don’t remember it. I know we had a maid while we lived there. Ms. Song. She used to whip up some yummy Korean food for us according to my Mom. Her fried rice being her best dish.
We lived in a five story apartment building over looking the Han River in Seoul. I sort of remember the bare apartment. It was without furniture because we literally came with a couple bags of clothes. My Mom bought just a few furnishings to get us by. I think we had a table, a papsan chair and some yo’s. Yo’s are oh so comfortable floor mattresses.
The reason went to South Korea was because my Dad was stationed there. They typically don’t let military families go but my Mom didn’t want to be without him. I think his tour of duty was to be a year or a year and a half. So she decided to pack us up and head off to Asia. A brave move for a 27 year old. Though we saw my Dad, we didn’t get to see him a lot. He came home once a month for a weekend visit and back to the base he went. I don’t know how my Mom did it…alone…with two little ones.
Although I can remember bits and pieces of living in Seoul, I do not remember the food. I'm sorry I don't because it was really good. The Bulgogi was yummy as was the Japchae. I tried the Kimchi but wasn’t a big fan. We tried the Doenjang and it was good but I’m not sure I would want to have it every time. What their fascination is with fermented food I do not know. I had a dumpling that was mmm, mmm good too. Wish I could remember its name. All in all I enjoyed my meal and would eat Korean food again.
So if you're an adventurous eater, than check out a Korean restaurant near you.
No comments:
Post a Comment