I'm sorry. For some reason I haven't the energy to blog lately. My 365 photo blog is also suffering. I'm losing the three visitors I have because of it. I have been photographing just not posting.
But I've missed out on so much more on Colby Kids. I've missed out on Mother's Day and writing why I love being a Mommy to two of the greatest kids in the world, Linc's graduation, Father's Day...I'm sure I've left out some other significant event. I am going to try and make up for some of it now.
So school is out. Linc is officially headed to Kindergarten. Oh wow were we so proud of him at his preschool graduation. Having never attended one, I never knew how elaborate it was. They had a DVD scrolling of photos of the kids throughout the year. When it got to Linc, I thought I was going to cry my eyes out. (You know how I feel about pictures.)
Then they had them go up to the front of the church and sing various songs for us. Afterwards, their names were called to come up and recieve a diploma from their teacher. Again, tears wanted to bust out but I had to take photos so I could later go home and blubber all over them.
Now school is for both of them but we have one last thing to do with Xander. The county came out in May to evaluate him. He's behind his class mates, particularly in the language area. So two weeks ago, I met with them to hear their findings.
Where I believe he has an articulation problem, they believe he has a language processing delay.
Not exactly what I wanted to hear.
It was much more severe than I thought. It isn't that he can't form the words. What basically happening is that he is taking in as many of the words as he can and then trying to sort them out in his head into something coherent.
They explained it very simply to me. Say his brain is a closet. Most kids have a nice orderly closet. On any given day they can open the closet and find what they are looking for. But for Xander, his is somewhat messy. He will eventually find what he's looking for but it will take him some time.
They say he is moderately delayed, it doesn't seem that way to me. Their reports say he is almost a full year behind. How can that be?
The other day I asked him to take his snack crackers off the the counter, grab a handful, put it on his table and then put the snacks back on the counter. He did is perfectly and honestly I think that's pretty complicated instructions for a three and a half year old.
I think it's a matter of timing. When they interviewed him, he probably was behind and probably also a little shy. I think both of those could contribute to them believing he is more delayed than I think he is.
I know you're thinking, well you're his Mommy so of course you can't see it. But yes. Yes I can. I know what he's capable of and some of the things they said he can't do I know very well he can.
So now I've decided to take this diagnosis with a grain of salt. In the grand scheme of things, this is minor. A lot of these 'language processing kids' as they term them usually don't get caught until they are in kindergarten or first grade even. Since we caught it early, I know he will do great. I'm going to bet they are going to come to me within six months time and say we need to adjust his goals because he is doing so well!
So that's catches us up a bit. I still want to go over Father's day and then Mohawkgate. Father's day was fairly tame compared to Mohawkgate...it was absolutely scandalous!






No comments:
Post a Comment