Backing up a little...Lincoln won the lottery last year and got into the best charter school in the county, Academie Da Vinci. Heck one of the best schools in the state for that matter. I was (still am) pumped he got in. It is a wonderful school. About 120 students from Kindergarten to fith grade. All the kids are happy, healthy and bright. It is such a perfect fit for us. We wanted, no needed a place that was small and had a close knit community. I went to a big school and it was important to me that he didn't. During his first few years, I don't want him to get lost in the crowd. He's a shy kid and that could happen to him very easily.
So Monday came, I brought Linc to school and when I left, I felt sad. I was sad he was going to be away from me for so long. I was sad that there is going to be this big part of his life I am not apart of or rather not present for. I was sad that my first born was getting so big. He's really becoming so independent and isn't needing me as much. When we left, I said bye hoping he might say, 'Don't leave.' or 'I'm going to really miss you, Mom.' Nope and he said bye, no big deal. While I know it's great there wasn't a big scene, I wished a little one had been created.
Later that day, I went to pick him up and he had a great day. One kid hit him on the playground but the teacher stopped that quickly and he didn't seem too bothered by it. I understand that's how boys are. One kid is always looking to establish his dominance with physical confrontations. As long as it doesn't go on, I'm chalking it up to kids being kids.
Next up, Tuesday. It was Xander's turn. While I was a little sad about Linc, I was anxious about Xander. He only goes to school twice a week for three hours a day but for me, I am worried almost the entire time he is there. Mostly because he's got lots of confidence (ok slight attitude) and I pray he doesn't accidentally hurt anyone but also because it's germ city! Ahhhhhhhh...yucky germs!
You know how kids can be...runny, snotty nosed, spitting, coughing, drooling, licking, nasty things. For some reason, at three years old, it's ok to stick your finger in someone's nose and then immediately shove it in your mouth. Although they are almost four, it still hasn't sunk it that other people's orphases are off limits. When they are four/five they seem better about personal space. I just have to hold on one more year and hopefully Xander will get it.
The three hours on Tuesday came and went (too fast). I didn't get a call and all went well. I went to pick him up and learned he did have an accident in his pants (peepee) but I guess a couple of the other kids are having accidents too so no biggie. It will be a big deal in a few weeks if he can't control it. We could get kicked out but I'm crossing my fingers he'll learn by example before that happens. He loves school and I know he would hate it if he couldn't go. If only he understood that if he doesn't learn to use the potty more, he can't go to school. :-/
When we got home, I looked in his book bag. There was a paper with list of kids in the class along with a letter about Xander that I put together to send out to others parents. The letter is about him, his medical background and weakened immune system. So it starts. The whispers of that liver family and sympathetic looks or looks of confusion. From experience, no one wants to talk about it, for what reason I don't know, but they are curious. I wish it wasn't a 'thang' but it is. Just talk to me!
I don't want to send that letter out but it's to protect Xander and to help them understand what he's going through. Rumors can be inaccurate so I wanted to nip them in the butt. If the other parents in the class understand it's a big deal if Xander gets even a fever and keeps their kid home because of my letter, than it was worth it. Most parents would give their kids some Tylenol and send them to school regardless. I don't want that to happen in Xander's class. I want him and all the kids to stay as healthy as possible. Maybe I'll send in a big supply of antibacterial hand wipes to help ease my mind.
All in all, Back to School has been great. The boys are happy. I think summer boredom was catching up because they were being fairly naughty the week before school started. I guess I wasn't giving them enough structure. I'm a more of a 'fly by the seat of your pants', 'what do you want to do today' type of person and they aren't at their age. So it's a good thing we're back to school. It will definitely give them the routine they need.
Wishing everyone a fun and safe school year!
Linc's first day of school

Putting on his name tag.

Linc and his buddy, Jett.

Unfortunately I don't have any of Xander. I'll get some tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment