Xander has CMV or Cytomegalovirus. It's a very common virus that most of us have but in immuno-suppressed patients it can be very serious (see below).
I'm so thankful for Dr. Scheimann and her team for finding this. Now they can treat it and get Xander back in good health again.
-----------------
From the linked Web site above.
Primary (or the initial) CMV infection in the immunocompromised patient can cause serious disease. However, the more common problem is the reactivation of the dormant virus. Infection with CMV is a major cause of disease and death in immunocompromised patients, including organ transplant recipients, patients undergoing hemodialysis, patients with cancer, patients receiving immunosuppressive drugs, and HIV-infected patients. Pneumonia, retinitis (an infection of the eyes), and gastrointestinal disease are the common manifestations of disease. Because of this risk, exposing immunosuppressed patients to outside sources of CMV should be minimized. Whenever possible, patients without CMV infection should be given organs and/or blood products that are free of the virus.
4 comments:
Blair, I'm sorry to hear about the CMV. Has he always tested positive for it and now it is active or is this new? We've only dealt with EBV, so I'm not familiar with the effects of it but I"m glad Xander's team discovered this early on. Try and get some sleep. You've had a tough few days. We hope to hear good news soon.
All our love,
The Browns
Guys, I am so sorry to hear that Xander has this. IS it treatable? I am glad they caught it NOW rather than later. Bless his little heart (and yours). Hang in there.
Blair, I am SO sorry about the CMV. You are right it is good that they caught this and can treat it and get him back on the healthy road! My prayers are with you, I hope things slow down a little for you. I wish you all the best!
Jennifer Wallace
oh blair so sorry to hear this. you were so diligent about keeping track of what was going on with him and it is a great thing to know they caught it quickly. i know he will get the best care possible. praying for a speedy recovery for xander and a BREAK already for mommy.
Post a Comment