Pages

H1N1 Flu

I would not, NOT, have been able to make it through the past year or so without the support of the wonderful people at Liver Families (LF). LF is a forum for people who are or who's children are suffering from liver disease. It doesn't stop there. LF provides support to those who are post-transplant as well. I love this site. I love them for the strength they have given and continue to give me to get through all this with Xander. I love them for their insight and knowledge. But most of all, I love them because they get it. They have lived through this hell that has been my life for the past year and a half.

One of the gals, Lisa, Mom to 7yr old Aiden who was diagnosed with Biliary Atresia and who had a liver transplant at 8mos. old, has calmed my nerves about this whole Swine, I mean H1N1 flu 'pandemic'. Here's a little of what she wrote on her site.

"Am I freaking out about the swine flu? No. Just like I am not freaking out about any of it. If I freaked out about things 7 years after a transplant.. umm I would be nuts. Aiden would have no life. And isnt' that the point in all of this? Get the second chance.. then live it. But the point is, I have a RIGHT to freak out. It REALY IS DANGEROUS to Aiden. I am just saying... don't run to your nearest pharmacy to buy a mask for the very rare and mild swine flu because the media told you to. How about stay home from school the day you are sick and actually not spread it because you are "cooped up." or if you have a fever and runny nose.. don't go to work that day, and surely don't go to the grocery store. Just stay home.

All the "new" rules of handwashing and coughing into sleaves.. all those rules should apply ALL THE TIME. Dont' panic.. just LEARN from this. Think of it in a Christ-like mindset.. don't do unto others you wouldn't want done to you.

I admit I have some pretty awesome friends. They don't do any of the above. But that isn't to say that we haven't had our share of grocery store exposures. TWO times Aiden was exposed and given PAINFUL immune injections because of chicken pox exposures in stores. STAY HOME.

And if you choose to not vaccinate you have even more responsiblity. (NO I DID NOT SAY PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO NOT VACCINATE ARE IRRESPONSIBLE- a lot of my homeschool friend's who I adore don't vaccinate) People like my child can NOT recieve vaccines. He can NOT have a live virus vaccine. So if you choose this lifestyle you have the MOST responsibility to my child and other's who CAN NOT protect themselves. You must stay home and not bring your children to church/ Sunday School if they show sign of disease. You could be endangering my child more than you will ever know.

Now.. with that said.. I realize the swine flu isn't nothing. I know that it is the flu.. I am sorry for anyone effected by it, and hope none of us are effected by it. The reality is, Everyday is a pandemic for us transplant moms. We are always at risk. Every day we do our precautions of hand washing and sneezing into arms. I think it is time for America to follow suit, it isn't THAT difficult to use a little hand sanitizer."

I admit I have been a little bit of a wreck about going anywhere with Xander, almost to the point of becoming a shut-in. I'm new at having a kid who is immune suppressed so I can go to the extreme sometimes. But it's a good thing I can turn to friends like Lisa and the others at LF to help give me a little perspective. I'm still very cautious about this flu but I'm not crazed like I was a first. I swear. Without the folks at LF, I'd be extremely neurotic.

Thank you to all the wonderful people at LF. You've help me more than you will ever know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for posting! I am going to have to copy and paste to Brooke's site! She is absolutly right!! If you would stay at home when you are sick and think about others there wouldn't be such a widespread of virus and diseases out there! Not only when something like the Swine Flu is going on but always even if it is the sniffles to one it can be nasty to our liver babies! People just don't get it though!

Thanks again for posting....I love my Liver Families too! Thanks for encouraging me to join! :)

Jennifer Wallace