Pages

Sweet Hannah

I didn't talk much about our appointment at Hopkins on Wednesday. Even though it was long, it was very good. The time passed quickly and Xander had a great time visiting with everyone. Oh and Xander gained a whole pound. Yep! A whole pound in five days. I was stunned but oh so happy. I thought he felt heavier.

While we were there, we saw another liver transplant baby, Hannah. I think I've mentioned Hannah before. She is so very, very, very sweet. Thalia, Hannah's Mom, and I pushed the kids' strollers together so they could play a little bit and we could chat. Once we got the strollers together, Xander woud reach out to grab Hannah's hand or touch her face. It was so cute until one time he reached for Hannah's face and accidentally pulled her ng-tube out. Yes! Snatched it right out of her nose!!! Ahhhhhhh! I couldn't believe it. I was so mortified. Thalia kept saying it was ok but I felt so terrible. Poor Hannah was crying and I kept thinking Thalia is going to have to put that tube back in tonight and that's no fun. Yeah. Really. It's not. But as it turns out Xander did Hannah a favor. Hannah has been gaining weight very well so they decided to let her go tube free for a while to see how she does without. Phew! That made me feel so much better.

I know I said I felt bad about what happened, and I did...still do, a little, but it really was kind of funny. I would have laughed if Hannah had reached over and snatched Xander's tube out. I told Thalia she was more than welcome to let Hannah try. They didn't take me up on my offer but if they had, it would have made for a great story. Oh well. Maybe Hannah will get him back next time.

-----------------

If you have a dollar or two to donate to these folks, that would be great. They are here from Trinidad. They don't do transplants in Trinidad so Thalia and Hannah came to Hopkins. Hannah is on her second liver because her first liver, donated by Daddy, failed. This family has no health insurance and is paying for everything out of pocket. Thalia's husband is still in Trinidad but is looking to find work in the United States so they can be close to the hospital and hopefully get health insurance.

I feel so much for these guys. I know what it is like to have your family split apart.

No comments: