I went online and found a tutorial on how to make something look old and weathered so I decided to try it on a cheap bird house I bought the other day at Michael's.

First I painted it green.

Ooops. I actually wanted to paint it red first. After I did, I rubbed some wax on it especially around the edges where I wanted it to look worn.

Next I painted it green again. Sanded off the waxed areas so the red would come through. Then I rubbed the wax on again over the exposed red sections and over other areas so when I sanded again both colors would come through.

Then I painted it white and sanded those areas I had waxed and voila!



I love it! I'm not sure it's the look I want for my table but I will definitely be doing this treatment to some of my old boring picture frames around here.
2 comments:
Very Cool! Love it! I might have to try the picture frame idea! =)
Jennifer Wallace
very neat. Also, if you want to maintain the value of your table (if it is worth anything), you might want to contact an antique person before doing anything to it. Alot of time when you refinish them, it greatly decreases the value, even if they looked terrible before.
Post a Comment