Pages

22 Days of Hope

I've decided to post one picture of Xander each day for the next 20 days.  They will be pictures of him and his fight for life from the hospital in 2008.  I'll post them until his transplant anniversary, Oct. 16. Although I don't have pictures of every single day, I didn't miss many.

I'm glad I took the photos. I think a lot of people thought it was disrespectful at the time but for me it was carthartic. (It gave me something to focus on instead of wallowing in my sadness and fears.) I look at them multiple times a year and remember the war we waged.  I can never forget how difficult that period was and during this time of year it's how I like to reflect.  Of course, it's not all sad.  We celebrate on the anniversary of his transplant. with cake and balloons!

Xander was actually on the waiting list for just a short 22 days and I didn't bring my camera to the hospital until day two.  I'll start from there tomorrow.

For now, I'll leave you with a few pics of him leading up to his hospitalization.

--------------------------------

I think he was 2 days old.  We were about to leave the hospital and he was already learning how to shout for food.  :-)

So little.

Just after his Kasai where we learned he definitely had Biliary Atresai.  He was just 7wks old.  We were so hoping this surgery would be a success.  I never wanted to see him like this again. 


Brothers!

Despite everything, he was a happy baby.

In for an ng-tube.  He was diagnosed with Failure to Thrive.

All smiles.

Big brother trying to show little brother how it works.

1 comment:

Margaça said...

"22 days of Hope" I remember Xander's fight, I remember all your posts and this is still amazing for me.

Every day in Xander's life it's a miracle to me. Happy birthday Xander and family!