Pages

September 25, 2009

This time last year my baby was in liver failure. Xander was listed with a Pediatric End-Stage Liver Disease (PELD) score of 25. For those who don’t know about PELD/MELD scoring, 25 is high. MELD is a numerical scale, ranging from 6 (less ill) to 40 (gravely ill). It gives each person a number based on how urgently he or she needs a liver transplant within the next three months.

The number is calculated by a formula using three routine lab test results:
- bilirubin, measures how effectively the live excretes bile;
- INR (prothrombin time), measures the liver’s ability to make blood clotting factors; and
- creatinine, measures kidney function. (Impaired kidney function is often associated with severe liver disease.)*

It didn't take long for his score to rise. He soared to the top of the list at Hopkins and then the region. It was a scary time but we were ready for him to be healthy.

*Latino Organization of Liver Awareness

1 comment:

Terri Brown said...

Blair,

Just wanted to check in on you all and see how things are going. Sounds like they are going well. Your recollection of Xander's story brought back a lot of memories. I always find it strange at some of the things that I remember and those feelings you get when you just know. I wonder if it's that motherly instinct. Allie received her transplant with a PELD of 40. My knees buckled when they came back with that score. I too didn't want to believe she was that ill, but in my heart I knew too. I am just so happy to see Xander doing well. Your blogs always touch my heart. You have a beautiful family. I'm so glad we had the chance to meet you.

Terri