Pages

Zobie

I can't believe she is gone. My heart is breaking into a million pieces. I was looking forward to heading back to Florida in December and spending time with her. She spent the summer here in Virginia with a friend but I didn't see her much. That was my fault and now I'm beating myself up about it.

Zobie passed away Thursday morning at 1:30am in Ron's arms. She was struggling to breath and then finally gave her last breathe and was gone. I can't tell you what it means to me that Ron was there, comforting her through it. I wouldn't be able to deal with this well if I knew she had died alone.

Oh my sweet girl. Ron and I got Zobie in 1995 at the Humane Shelter. She was about three or four months old at the time. Ron was intrested in one of the kittens they had but there was something about 'Diana', her name on her paperwork, that drew me to her. She was purring and meowing at me. Everytime we visited her cage she would stick her paws out at us and bat at us without using her claws. She was so sweet.

When we got her home, she was SO much fun. She had such an outgoing spirit. She loved to play and would sleep on the shelf above us. It was like a perch and she was watching over us. Zobie loved McDonald's french fries. Not Burger King or Wendy's or any others, just McDonald's. Zobie also loved to be outside. I guess we let her out too much because one day she came home pregnant. She was about 9mos old when she gave birth to three kittens. They were so darling and Zobie took such good care of them. After she gave birth, we had her fix. We couldn't let that happen again.

We thought we had lost her one time about 8yrs ago when she didn't come home. She was missing for two weeks. I was mourning her thinking she was gone for good. Then one morning, Ron heard meowing when he went to let the dogs out and she came barreling over the fence screaming her head off. I was so happy she was back. She was thin but she was alive! I can't describe how it feels to think she was dead and she wasn't.

Now she really is gone and I'm mourning all over again.

Zobie has been with us for so long I can hardly remember what life was like without her. She was just always there. We have had two cats and two dogs and as we gave the others away, we never, ever would have given her up. She fit our life perfectly.


Zobie Colby
January 1995 - November 2009
Run free Zobie girl.

8 comments:

Ana said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know the pain of losing a pawed family member...so sorry.

Cortney H said...

Aww so sorry about your cat =/ We lost of 3 year old cat 2 years ago to Fatty liver syndrome. we spent 2500 trying to save him but he just could not hold on and passed while in the hospital. To this day I would pay another 2500 to have him back with me because I know how much animals mean to people. She is running free, chasing mice and have a great time. Rest in Peace Little one you will be missed even by those who didnt know you in RL.

Brie said...

Oh, Blair, I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Zobie. For you, Ron, Linc and X! I love my kitty dearly and can't imagine not having him now. He is almost 10. I'm glad you are comforted knowing that Ron was there for her. :( Really really sorry to hear this news. We'll be thinking of you.

winzelband said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanne said...

Zobie was such a lucky cat to have been loved so much! xoxo

Shelly said...

oh blair I'm so sorry :( Losing a pet is one of the worst things in the world. Sounds like Zobie had a wonderful life, I know she had a really great family to share the past 14 years with! big hugs to you xoxox

Joy said...

That just breaks my heart, Blair. I am so glad Ron was there.

Anonymous said...

Blair I am sorry, She really lead a long life with wonderful people. Thinking of you